A Local Resource
As well as our silvicultural aims of restoring the woods to native broadleaved species Long Wood aims to become a hub for social enterprises and other micro businesses long into the future. In order to accomplish these aims in the long term, Long Wood must aim to be self sufficient. By carefully managing our resources we will be able to continue management of the woodlands on behalf of the community into the future. In order to make Long Wood as resilient as possible we will be offering a range of products and services ranging from wood fuel to training courses.
An important element of our long term development is that of our Social Enterprise, which aims to serve the local market whilst also offering local employment along with placements and apprenticeship schemes to those who wish to learn woodland skills. Profits from our commercial activities will be put back into the community project, enhancing Long Wood for all.
Timber & Wood Fuel
Long Wood now own their own mobile sawmill and other forestry equipment which enable us to create a sustainable business by both selling timber and through product diversification. Alongside this will be further income generation activity associated with other usage of the woodland. This work not only compliments our sustainable woodland management plan but is integral to its long term success. A managed woodland is a healthy woodland. We are making the following products for sale please see details below:
- Timber for building projects: douglas fir, larch, spruce, red oak and beech.
- Fire Wood: hard and soft woods available.
- Fence posts & rails.
- Greenwood for the craft market: hazel, oak, sweet chestnut and more.
- Training: Long Wood regularly hosts training course as diverse as greenwood craft, tool sharpening and forestry first aid. These popular courses will announced in good time but places are limited so remember to book early.
- Low impact "wild camping": unauthorised camping is not permitted within the woodland but by prior arrangement, restricted, low impact camping will be made available within the woods. This service is expected to be launched spring 2015. More details will be announced nearer the time
- Forest School facilities: Long Wood has an effective forest school area with shelter and a workshop that is available to forest schools and other groups.
- Woodland theatre: nestled in a natural amphitheatre within a beech section of woods. The long Wood theatre hosts its own performances but is also availale for hire.
A modest fee is chargeable for some of these services. As a community woodland, another important objective will be to establish and encourage small, micro-businesses within the area. We aim to be able to offer shared workshop space and equipment for those setting up their own enterprises.